Sunday, January 3, 2010

Bacon Potato Soup

After yesterday's disaster I decided to do one of my favorite, very edible, soup recipes today. Again coming from 101 More Things To Do With A Slow Cooker . I promise I will be doing other recipes but just decided to start with this cookbook. So here is my favorite potato soup recipe, of course with a couple of my little variations thrown in. It is delicious! My husband approves and I make it all the time. ENJOY!
Bacon Potato Soup
6 cups potatoes, peeled and diced 5 cups water 2 cups chopped onions (I omit these because hubby doesn't like them but I do-it adds sweetness to the soup) 4 chicken bouillon cubes 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (Do not use fat free or low fat cheese it will not melt properly) Combine potatoes, water, onions (if you choose) and bouillon cubes in greased 5-7 quart crock pot. Cover and cook on low heat 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. (After the potatoes are cooked I take my potato masher to them. I don't mash them completely but enough to make my soup nice and creamy with a few chunks) Stir in crumbled bacon, milk and grated cheese. Cover and cook an additional 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks great. I am going to give it a try! Thanks for sharing your fun experiences with my favorite kitchen toy ... the crock pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rhanah! I hope you like it because we sure do!

    ReplyDelete