Thursday, January 7, 2010

Crockpot Dilema

What do you do when your weather is like this (see below)? Seven degrees with a wind chill of negative 14. Kids are home and it is too cold to go anywhere and... Your crock pot looks like this (see below)? That's right the crock pot bit the dust. I have had this crock pot for about 3 years. I noticed lately that it had been cooking at a higher temp. Yesterday's casserole I cooked at a considerably lower amount of time then stated at a low temp. I knew it was a goner when I checked the potatoes yesterday and the handle fell off. Which in turn released a lot of important crock pot steam. So seriously how was I suppose to make an awesome crock pot meal without being able to go to the store. I don't have a lot of supplies left in the house and my crock pot...well you know I just told you. The bowl with the blue lid is a crock pot stew I made a few weeks ago. I had tons of leftovers and decided to freeze for a later date. I decided that my crock pot had one or two more gos, even if the handle is broken, and threw the frozen stew in. And it worked great warming up leftovers. So on this cold day in the Midwest I was able to provide my wonderful husband a warm and hearty meal...even if I couldn't make it to the store.

4 comments:

  1. Can we get the recipe for the yummy stew you made?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be doing this stew a little later in the month but I will give it to you a bit early, since you are my favorite cousin named Renata!

    potatoes
    carrots
    can of green beans (drained)
    can of corn (drained)
    stew meat
    speghetti sauce
    salt
    pepper

    Throw it all in the crock pot and let it cook on low 8-10 hours : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. My crock pot looks the same :( but i still use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha The Crazy Nelson Household! The only problem I am having that is really impacting my decision to get a new one is the fact that it is cooking at a much higher temp then it should be : ( if this weren't the care I could live with the broken lid!

    ReplyDelete