Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1, 2010 Classic White Bread

Did you know that you can make bread in your crock pot? I seriously had no idea until I came upon a recipe in one of my favorite crock pot recipe books, 101 More Things to do with a Slow Cooker. If you choose to purchase this book it is by Stephanie Ashcraft and Janet Eyring and is published by Gibbs Smith. So I decided to start the New Year off with a brand new recipe. I am exhausted from staying up late bringing in the New Year so something easy my first day was the route I needed to take. This was extremely east to prepare and cook time was fairly quick. Take a look at the recipe below: 1 envelope (.25 ounces) or 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast 1 teaspoon sugar 1/4 cup warm water 1 egg 1/4 cup vegetable oil 1 cup lukewarm water 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 cup sugar 3 1/2 to 4 cups of flour In a bowl, comine yeast, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/4 cup warm water. Allow yeast to foam, about 5 minutes. Add egg, oil, lukewarm water, salt, 1/4 cup sugar, and 2 cups of flour. Beat with an electric mixer 2 minutes of low. With a wooden spoon, stir in remaining flour. Place dough in greased 4 to 5 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat 2-3 hours. Remove stoneware from slow cooker and let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Makes 10-15 servings. Serve with butter and your favorite jam. The smell of fresh baked bread floated through my house. And when the bread was finally done (it took 2 hours in my crock pot...notice the hole in the finished product...I wanted to make sure it was done) I barely could wait the five minutes to cool so I could taste it! So here is the outcome. I first would wait more like 10 minutes before I cut it. It was a bit too warm, therefore: a bit crumbly when I removed pieces from the stoneware. I was not too thrilled on the flavor but after I added the butter and some strawberry jam it was much more enticing. My 8-year old daughter gave it a five because she said it lacked some flavor. She doesn't like butter and was eating hers plain. My 5-year old son said it was "GOOD!" The most important opinion was from my husband because if he hates it then it will never be made again! He loved it and specified that I need to make it again. So overall a good crockpot recipe. Definetly not the homemade bread I made with my mom when I was a kid but definetly a keeper.

3 comments:

  1. It was very good, especially with butter. It wasn't the best homemade bread I've ever had but it definitely was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave you a blog award!



    http://thesetalkingwalls.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-first-blog-awardheck-yes.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Brittney! What a Blog honor!

    ReplyDelete